July 2, 2015

Thursday Quotables: Napalm & Silly Putty



Hello, everyone! Welcome to Thursday Quotables! This weekly feature is hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies. Every week we highlight a great quote, line, or passage discovered during your reading each week.




Today, I chose some quotes from Napalm &Silly Putty(2001) by the legendary comedian George Carlin (review to come in a couple of days). As I expected this book is extremely funny and to-the-point. Carlin is sarcastic and touches many important issues. 

Some quotes are just funny. Like:
One of the first things they teach you in Driver's Ed is where to put your hands on the steering wheel. They tell you put 'em at ten o'clock and two o'clock. Never mind that. I put mine at 9:45 and 2:17. Gives me an extra half hour to get where I'm goin'.
and:
I wonder: On rainy nights, does the sandman send the mudman?
The next quote puts to words some of my own thoughts:
Camcorders are a good example of technology gone berserk. Everywhere you go now, you see some goofy f* with a camcorder. Everyone's taping everything. Doesn't anybody stop and look at things anymore? Take them in? Maybe even...remember them? Is that such a strange idea? Does experience really have to be documented, brought home and saved on a shelf?
As a dog person, I can relate to this last passage I'm sharing with you:
I love my dog. I love all my dogs. Every dog I ever had, I still love 'em. And in my life. believe me, I have had me a bunch of dogs. Because you keep on gettin' a new one, don't ya? It's true. As life goes on, you keep gettin' one new dog after another. That's the whole secret of life. Life is a series of dogs.

Are you familiar with George Carlin's comedy? What did you think about those quotes? Do you like a specific bit of his?


10 comments:

  1. I loved that first quote, it was so funny! And the last quote was great as well, I love dogs, so I could relate to it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second quote has so much truth to it, I went to a mountain lookout a while back and at the top it had a sign saying "Put your camera down for a minute. Take in the view." Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I also like to take a lot of pictures, but sometimes it's nice just to observe things with your own eyes :)

      Delete
  3. George Carlin was so brilliant! I always love watching clips of his performances, but I've never read anything written by him. This makes me want to check out the book for sure! Great selections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is like a written special. Actually some of the chapters were parts of his lives :)

      Delete
  4. I love your first quote! It actually made a giggle out loud lol. It's quirky :P thank you for visiting my blog :D
    Have a great day,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the author, but I enjoyed the quotes. Especially the third one. Yes, I do think the same myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was basically a comedian. One of the greatest, in fact :)

      Many of his bits reflected the truth, that's what I like about his lives!

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)