June 19, 2020

Book Beginnings / Friday 56 - Love, Rosie, by Cecelia Ahern


Hello, everyone! How was your week? I'm finally beginning to understand that it's summer and I can't wait for the time when I can go to the beach. Anyway, last Sunday, I did a little experiment on myself. To be more precise on my TBR list. I wrote a discussion article on how to declutter your TBR list and I had to try it out. The results were impressive, and it was also a great chance to discover books that I've been meaning to read. So, on today's bookish memes, we are going to take a look at one book I found deep on my TBR list. 

First, we have Book Beginnings on Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reads. In this meme, we have to share the first sentence (or a bit more) from the book we are currently reading. The second meme is called Friday 56 and it is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this one, we have to share a small snippet from a book, taken from page 56 (or 56% on an e-reader).


So, this week we're looking at some snippets from Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern. According to Goodreads, I placed this book on my TBR list in 2015 and 5 years later, I've yet to read it. But I have a confession to make: I have watched the movie adaptation. I don't really mind spoilers, so it's not going to be a problem for me. Anyway, now that I'm reminded of it, maybe it's time to finally read it. 

Book Beginnings


"To Alex
You are invited to my 7th birthday party on Tuesday the 8th of April in my house"

This novel is supposed to be epistolary, so the story is told in notes, letters, texts, and emails. I'm curious to find out how this form of narrative will work in a modern setting. However, it sounds interesting. From the beginning, we learn that the protagonists are childhood friends, so it's definitely going to be a friends to lovers trope.

Friday 56


"Divorced_1: ...Does your kid look like your ex?
Buttercup: Well thankfully she's not his so, no, she doesn't.
LonelyLady: My goodness, did he know?
Buttercup: Of course he did, I had my daughter years before I met him.
Wildflower: Oh well that's a shame, thought we were onto something good there."

Ok, I'm lost! I arrived at 56% on my Kindle. It seems like I am in the middle of a chat room conversation. I don't know who is who, but my guess is that Buttercup is Rosie. Anyway, the snippet promises a lot of drama, which is always good in a read!


Have you read Love, Rosie? What are some favourite quotes from the books you've been reading?

12 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of Love, Rosie before. It seems interesting, and I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I've read contemporary books told in either letters, texts, emails or some form like that and I really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually like the epistolary writing style, especially the ones that seem like a play.

    I do hope you enjoy it, though. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL @ the 56... the nerve! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we can't jump into the middle of a book and have even a clue what is happening. Hope the book gets less confusing. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Konna,

    I have to admit that this is not one of my favourite styles of writing, and I'm not too sure how engaging it will be some 5 years after it was written, given how quickly social media has advanced in that same time - it might come across as a little outdated?

    I am not really a beach person, but I have to admit that a lovely walk along a seafront promenade right now, would be a real tonic. We have coastal areas not too far away under normal circumstances, but by the time we drive there and back and spend some time relaxing and walking, the lack of public toilets are a real issue for most people. Our councils have given no indication as when they might consider making them available again and there are still no cafes etc. open, where you can just pop in to use the facilities! It has definitely been a strange year so far!

    I loved your recent post about TBR de-cluttering. I think we all know that what you say makes perfect sense, it's just the finality of hitting that 'delete' button, even though you know full well you can always get the book back again if you are that desperate in the future!

    My Goodreads mountain is definite testimony to needing some attention, as is NetGalley, my Kindle and my physical shelves - Basically I think I am a lost cause :)

    Take Care
    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Konna! I love Cecilia Ahern and and finished Post script just a couple of months ago. She has a very engaging voice and writing style.

    Hope you get to enjoy this one and thanks so much for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love epistolary novels, so I'm very interested in this one. Thanks for sharing! Hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't love epistolary novels, but I have heard good things about this book! Isn't there a movie version of it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That 56 has me curious. Epistolary style isn't my favorite but sometimes it works. Hope you enjoy it when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always thought epistolary was an interesting style for books! That 56 quote seems interesting, and I was lost for a minute, too, but like you said, it does seem like a chat room, which is interesting. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Aherns books. I think I’ve read Love, Rosie. I want to if I have not.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)