June 21, 2020

Discussion: Favourite Father Figures in Books (Happy Father's Day)


Hello, everyone! Happy father's day ðŸ’–

As today is a special day, I have decided to push my discussions schedule back to write about fatherhood. As a daddy's girl, I have to admit that I have a soft spot for my dad. There are certain fatherly figures in literature that you will find in any list about this topic. However, I thought that I would shake things up and create a list that features only non-biological fathers. There is no need for another list that states that Atticus Finch is the best literary father - you already know that!

All these non-biological fathers are a proof that blood-relationships are not essential for the development of a strong bond. In fact, some of them go to great lengths to protect their children and provide for them. A nice father-kid relationship is heart-warming in any book. The following fathers have moved me with their tenderness and devotion.

And with this introduction, let's move on to the list!


1. Jean Valjean


I have a very special relationship with Les Misérables. If I had to pick one book that I have associated with my childhood and my dad, this would be it. You see, my dad has a fascination with this novel, and when I was a kid he used to read it to me. At some time, I was even able to recite parts from the book. 

So, when I decided to compile a list of non-biological father figures, Jean Valjean was the first and most obvious choice for me. Jean Valjean is a troubled character, who goes through a living hell. However, he is a man of conscience and always try to do justice. When he was hiding under the name of Madeleine, he gets acquainted with Fantine and even stands up for her when she gets arrested. When Fantine, ultimately gets sick, he promises to her that he will take care of her eight-year-old daughter, Cosette.

Jean Valjean is an overprotective father to Cosette and comes to love her dearly. When he learns about Marius, he gets furious and tries to stop her. However, he understands her feelings and he goes as far as to risk his life to save him. 

2. Will Freeman


This unlikely father figure comes from the novel About a Boy by Nick Hornby. Will Freeman is not what a father is supposed to be like: he is a bachelor, he has no need or will to work, he cares about pop culture, and he is often after women. One of Will's schemes to meet women is to attend a single parents' meet-up, for which he invents a two-year-old son. In this meet-up, he gets acquainted with Fiona, the mother of the twelve-year-old Marcus. 

Marcus is a socially awkward boy and Will teaches him how to be trendy. The two of them form a bond that is both heart-warming and hilarious.

3. Sirius Black


The godfather of Harry Potter becomes a fatherly figure for the young wizard. Mind you, the relationship isn't always easy. In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry, Hermione, and Ron confront Sirius and even try to kill him. However, by the end of the book, Harry and Sirius get closer, with Sirius even asking the young wizard to move in with him.However, later in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Sirius is killed by Bellatrix Lestrange. Nevertheless, he leaves Harry as his heir.

I know that Harry Potter has been a hot topic lately, for all the wrong reasons. Due to this fact, I need to state that I'm separating the work from the author. Under no circumstance, I agree with J.K. Rowlings' statements. I understand all those who cannot see the Harry Potter series under the same light. In fact, I am also reluctant to revisit it, at least any time soon.

4. Abel Magwitch


This character from Great Expectations is more of a benefactor, rather than a fatherly figure. Pip meets Abel when he is just a boy. Abel is a convict and tricks Pip into bringing him the tools he needs to escape, as well as some food. When he escapes, he flees to Australia where he becomes rich. Even though he is far from England, he hasn't forgotten about Pip and provides everything he need to become a gentleman. When Pip later discovers his secret benefactor, he gets disappointed. Nevertheless, Pip warms up to Abel when he learns more about his story. On his deathbed, Pip tells Abel that his daughter, Estella, is alive and that he has feelings for her. Abel dies at this moment with Pip holding his hand. 

5. Hans Hubbermann


If you are looking for a heart-warming and moving father-daughter relationship, you don't have to go any further than The Book Thief. Liesel's foster father supports her and tries to help her in any way he can. He brings her books and they both struggle together with reading and writing. He is a kind and loving father and one of my favourite in literature.

Honorable Mention: Ned Stark


This is more speculation than anything else as in the books we have yet to learn whether Jon Snow is Ned's son or not. If Jon's origins are the same, Ned Stark deserves a spot on this list for carrying this secret for so many years. Since the show has revealed this information, I think that we are one step closer into getting this theory confirmed for the books. 


This was my list! Who is your favourite father figure in literature?

2 comments:

  1. I love how you mentioned Jean Valjean! I think it's incredible that your dad read this book to you growing up. The funny thing is, I also associate Les Miz with my dad :) He hasn't read the book, but he is obsessed with the musical, and he always played the music growing up. I'm sure he would totally take up the role of Jean Valjean if someone asked him too lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Les Miz a dad thing?? Haha! I have very fond memories of this book :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)