May 22, 2020

Book Beginnings / Friday 56 - Highfire by Eoin Colfer


Hello, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful week! Last Sunday I wrote a post where I discuss my favourite book genres. You can go read it and vote for your favourite ones! Anyway, it's Friday, so it's time for our weekly bookish memes.

First, we have Book Beginnings on Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reads. In this meme, we have to share the first sentence (or a bit more) from the book we are currently reading. The second meme is called Friday 56 and it is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this one, we have to share a small snippet from a book, taken from page 56 (or 56% on an e-reader).


This week, I have chosen to feature the book I'm going to start reading next. I have yet to finish The Memory Police, but I have already picked my next read. Do you ever do that? Anyway, the book is Highfire and it's written by Eoin Colfer. I am a huge fan of the Artemis Fowl series and I have to admit that I'm very excited about this one. Highfire though is an adult novel, and I'm curious to see what Eoin Colfer does in this book!

Book Beginnings


"Vern did not trust humans was the long and short of it. Not a single one. He had known many in his life, even liked a few, but in the end they all sold him out to the angry mob."

So... the protagonist of this book is a dragon. Let's take a moment to appreciate that this is an ADULT novel with a dragon protagonist. I'm already into it! I can't wait to read what actually happens in the book.

From the writing style, I can already tell that it's the typical of Eoin Colfer. This makes me believe that Highfire is going to be hilarious.




Friday 56


"Without a doubt the favorite hours in Squib’s jam-packed schedule were those he spent in Vern’s company. He never tired of staring at the dragon’s person, trying to memorize every scale and armored plate, seeing as photographs were absolutely forbidden. This scrutinizing pissed the dragon off a little, but he tolerated it so long as Squib kept the vodka martinis coming."

This snippet is from 56% of the ebook. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Is Squib a second character? We do learn though the Vern has a soft spot for vodka martinis, so yay for character development (?).  


Have you read Highfire? What are some favourite quotes from the books you've been reading?

31 comments:

  1. I can relate with Vern most days, human suck... lol
    Sounds like an interesting read! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't think I have read an adult book where the protagonist is not a human. This sounds super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me neither! I found it so refreshing and I'm really curious about it...

      Delete
  3. This is really interesting. Colfer is a fantastic author. I didn't know about this one. Sounds fabulous!

    My post this week if interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artemis Fowl is one of my favourite series! That's why I hope that I'll enjoy this one as well :)

      Delete
  4. Gotta keep the drinks coming, lol. I haven't heard of this one but you have me intrigued. That opening is sad and both snippets are illuminating.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I randomly found out about it but I was familiar with Eoin Colfer's work and that was reason enough for me to pick it up :)

      Delete
  5. I've read some books with dragons, but never a funny one and never one with dragons and martinis! This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean in fantasy you see a lot of dragons. But this book has a lot of humour. It's so refreshing :)

      Delete
  6. Haven't read it, but it sounds right up my alley! Fun choice!

    Here is my Friday Post. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really in the mood for something funny right now :)

      Delete
  7. Highfire looks like so much fun. That beginning sets up a lot of potential for intriguing conflict. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what happens in this book! Need to start reading it asap :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this one when I read it last year. Hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! It raises my expectations :)

      Delete
  9. A popular author, I hope you enjoy your selection. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with his Artemis Fowl series, so I hold his work very dear :)

      Delete
  10. Never heard of this author, but the idea of this book sounds really original!
    Happy reading! xx
    Sara @ Sara In Bookland

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I think of dragons, I am reminded of my Disney collectible trinkets, with a dragon among them. I liked photographing them with my books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting that the main character is a dragon in an adult book. Sounds intriguing. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me what you think about it, if you pick it up :)

      Delete
  14. It never fails that I regret it if I do not have a book picked out to read after I finish whatever I am currently reading. It can sometimes take me forever to decide which book I want to read next otherwise. I think it's because there are too many tempting choices . . . Anyway, Highfire sounds different and fun, and it's on my wish list. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally pick books depending on my mood at a certain moment. However, I knew that I would want something lighter after the book I was currently reading, that's why it was easy to choose.

      Delete
  15. Interesting - I read Artemis Fowl earlier this year and would be curious to see the author's handling of a dragon character in an adult book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Artemis Fowl series! And I'm very curious to read an adult Eoin Colfer book... with a dragon!

      Delete
  16. Glad to read about this post 😊
    Would you like to read my new poem.
    Here http://lyricslifepoems.blogspot.com/2020/06/thinkingaboutyou.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)