May 29, 2020

Book Beginnings / Friday 56 - Girl, Stop Apologizing, by Rachel Hollis


Hello, everyone! How was your week? I have to admit that mine was another hectic one. One of the challenges I face as a freelancer is that no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to make a proper schedule. Once I've settled a bit, more work always pops up and it's always "urgent", so I end up working everyday until late. But today it's Friday and I think I'll have a weekend after a long time (yay)! So, let's do our Friday bookish memes ✨

First, we have Book Beginnings on Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reads. In this meme, we have to share the first sentence (or a bit more) from the book we are currently reading. The second meme is called Friday 56 and it is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this one, we have to share a small snippet from a book, taken from page 56 (or 56% on an e-reader).


This week, I'm featuring a book that I got this week. Last Sunday, on my discussion post, I was talking about how we can diversify our reading. Therefore, I did a small experiment to see how many of the last 10 books I've read were written by female authors. I was disappointed by the answer and now I'm determined to fill my summer reading list with books written by women (although I'm currently reading Highfire). So, I chose to begin with Girl, Stop Apologizing because we all need some motivation sometimes. I have heard mixed things about this books, but I can't wait to read it to find out what I think about it.  

Book Beginnings


"Excuses disguise themselves as any number of things. Some people believe them with all their hearts. They really do think they’re not enough or that they don’t have time or that they’re not a “goal kind of person.” They don’t realize that every time they hold on to these beliefs, not only do they rob themselves of motivation—they give up before they even start. Let’s stop doing that. What are the excuses you’ve been believing? Chances are, one or more of these ideas has lived inside your head as justification for why you’re not able to pursue and chase your dreams. I hope that by digging into what the most common excuses are and why we don’t actually have to give them any power, you’ll be able to break the shackles currently holding you back."

So, this is the introduction of the first part of the book, which is called "Excuses to Let Go of". I guess that this part will explain various excuses that we all make, but in reality stop us from developing and achieving what we are capable of. That's certainly a good way of motivating someone!

Friday 56


"So that was my goal, and the underlying reasoning for it was something I remember thinking at a really early age: When I’m in charge, I can live whatever life I want. When you visualize your future, you have to know where it is you’re trying to get to, and you have to give yourself some motivation to keep you on course. Said another way, you have to know your why. Why does it matter to you?"

Reading this paragraph, I have to admit that I agree with it. However, I haven't read the book and I don't know the context. But if I had to judge from these two snippets, I would expect that this book will make me feel empowered.

Have you read Girl, Stop Apologizing? What are some favourite quotes from the books you've been reading?

14 comments:

  1. I tried to read another book by the author, and didn't connect to it. This one might be more interesting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine:
    “A PIECE OF THE WORLD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm conflicted, as I'm hearing mixed reviews for this book. Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I have heard a lot of buzz around this book and I'm curious. Looking forward to your thoughts on it. Happy reading!

    My Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lately I've seen it everywhere! Stay tuned for the review :)

      Delete
  3. I love self-help books, so I would probably like this one.

    Yes, this did turn out to be a hectic week, maybe because it was a day short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read a shelf-help book once in a while to get motivated! This sounds like a good book for the cause :)

      Delete
  4. Not really my kind of thing, but I know her stuff was really popular at my library. Hope you like it!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been hearing a lot about her books :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds good to me! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really good, inspirational and motivational book. I haven't read a self-help in awhile, but this sounds like something I should check out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the quote from page 56, especially this part: "When you visualize your future, you have to know where it is you’re trying to get to, and you have to give yourself some motivation to keep you on course. Said another way, you have to know your why. Why does it matter to you?"

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)