April 17, 2020

Book Beginnings / Friday 56 - Howards End, by E.M. Foster

Book Beginnings on Friday


Hello, everyone! I hope that lockdown is going well for you. What have you been reading? Today, I return to two Friday fun weekly memes, which I enjoy very much.

First, we have Book Beginnings on Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reads. In this meme, we have to share the first sentence (or a bit more) from the book we are currently reading. The second meme is called Friday 56 and it is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this one, we have to share a small snippet from a book, taken from page 56 (or 56% on an e-reader).


So, this week I have chosen Howards End, by E.M.Foster. This book has been sitting on my shelf for a long time, but I always felt hesitant on picking it up. However, I have just started reading this classic and I have to admit that I'm already hooked.

Howards End

Book Beginning:


"One may as well begin with Helen's letter to her sister."

I found this opening line very peculiar, to be honest. The first chapter is a series of letters from one sister to another. In those letters, we get to know some basic things about characters that will play a part in the story later on. But if I judge from the other E.M. Foster book I have read (A Room with a View), then this opening line is a good example of his writing style.

Page 56:


“Ruskin had visited Torcello by this time, and was ordering his gondoliers to take him to Murano.  It occurred to him, as he glided over the whispering lagoons, that the power of Nature could not be shortened by the folly, nor her beauty altogether saddened by the misery, of such as Leonard.”

Page 56 takes us in a chapter that introduces us to Leonard - one of the main heroes of the book. In this chapter, we get to know who Leonard and what his situation in life is. He believes that he can break the barrier of his middle-class life through a deeper understanding of the arts and literature. For this reason, he reads Ruskin in this chapter. I rather liked the way that E.M. Foster used the narration of this book in his own narration. I found it unique and refreshing.


Have you read Howards End? Which of classics sits on your TBR list for a long time?

26 comments:

  1. I have always been curious about this author and his books. The excerpts are intriguing. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: ”BIG SUMMER”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find E.M. Foster's writing style so easy to read! Try A Room with a View and you won't regret it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure if I've ever read Howard's End, I know I have seen the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is well-known, but I haven't watched it. I will though after I finish reading the book :)

      Delete
  3. The snippets have me interested in more. I still need to read this author. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend his books! I'm so hooked in this one :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds very atmospheric. I did love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does a great job of transferring you into that era!

      Delete
  5. Hi Konna,

    Thanks for stopping by Fiction Books today. It is good to 'meet' you and I love receiving comments, which I always appreciate :)

    I have to admit that I haven't read many of the classics, since my teenage years, which was sadly a very long time ago!

    I keep setting myself the challenge of reading at least one a year, but somehow that just never seems to happen.

    At least that opening line says exactly what it means, although I personally preferred your page 56 extract, which was very atmospheric and literary. I like the style of writing, so this is probably another book destined for my never ending TBR list.

    UK lockdown, now at the end of its third week, with at least three more to go, is becoming soul destroying, with little or no enthusiasm for reading, or just about anything else. At the start I had a whole long list of jobs I was going to get done, as well as spending quality time on my hobbies, including reading. That list has long since been consigned to the dustbin and now I am down to getting by a day at a time!

    Thank you for sharing your book, enjoy it and Stay Safe :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yvonne, nice to meet you!

      I think that E.M. Foster's books are an ideal pick for the one classic book per year, because his writing style is so light and flows so easily.

      I understand how you are feeling. Right now, I've passed the mark of a month in a lockdown and I have to admit that my motivation is diminishing.

      Delete
  6. I need more. Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. I never read this. It has potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I can't wait to find out what happens next :)

      Delete
  8. I'm discovering things that I've been hesitating to read on my shelves as well. Sounds like this one was a good find. I particularly like the 56 snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a feeling that upon finishing this book I will wonder what took me so long to pick it up haha

      Delete
  9. I've not read this book though, of course, I've seen the movie. I like the hook of letters as introductions. My quotes and review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters is a good way to give you the backstory in just a few pages. It was a good start :)

      Delete
    2. I've not read Foster before though I've heard the name. Not sure this is for me but I'm glad you are liking it.

      Delete
    3. Well, if you decide that you want to read a classic, then I would recommend it :)

      Delete
  10. I have been wanting to push myself to read more classics. This is going on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is certainly a classic you can read. I find the E.M. Foster's writing is lighter compared to that of other authors and it flows easily :)

      Delete
  11. One of these days I will read Howards End.

    Check out my Friday spotlight and my review of Shorefall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know what you think about it, when you read it :)

      Delete
  12. I agree that that's a pretty weird way to open the book, but I kind of like it. It's quirky and is a unique writing style/voice, and I'm interested in that, so it's clearly done its job. This sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's something that you wouldn't normally expect from an opening sentence - especially in a classic!

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)