August 6, 2015

Thursday Quotables: Funny Girl


Hello, everyone! Welcome to Thursday Quotables! This weekly feature is hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies. Every week we highlight a great quote, line, or passage discovered during your reading each week.


I'm back! My mini-break is now over (although I wish it could last for a few more days). For those who missed The Reading Book Post on Monday, I promise that the next one will be a big one. Anyway, this week I chose a small passage from the novel Funny Girl (2014)by Nick Hornby. I've just begun reading it, but I'm excited since I've enjoyed most of the novel's I've read by Hornby.


This quote really hit the spot:
She wished that she could be happy, of course she did; she wished she wasn't different.

A small passage from the beginning of the novel. Yes, it's Hornby's usual writing style:
All right, yes, some people, men of all ages, did look at her, but not in the way that she wanted them to look. They looked at her blonde hair and her bust and her legs, but they never saw anything else. So she’d enter the competition, and she’d win it, and she was dreading the look in her father’s eyes when he saw that it wasn’t going to make any difference to anything.

Have you read Funny Girl? Do you like Nick Hornby? Which is your favourite novel of his?

10 comments:

  1. Wow, those quotes really make you think! You want to be something unique; yet at the same time you don't want to be different and weird. You want someone to see the real you, not just your physical features. Great quotes, Aeriko! Old follower ;)

    Sinead @ Less Reality More Books
    http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/2015/08/thursday-quotables-3-pure.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I believe that we all feel this way at some point and Nick Hornby captures this feeling excellently :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love those quotes. It's interesting the messages they convey.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I believe that this feeling is part of growing up :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting comments! True though isn't it? A lot of girls feel this way :) I think the author got the nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed the Nick Hornby books I've read. I remember hearing about this one when it came out. I'd love to hear what you think when you finish -- meanwhile, thanks for sharing this great passages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to share the passages I like with you! I like Nick Hornby's writing style and I wanted to read Funny Girl since its publication. I finally got to pick it up! :)

      Delete
  5. Love those quotes, they're really thought-provoking! Hope you had a great little break! :)

    Raashi
    http://raashiagarwal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was great, I had really missed my boyfriend :D

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)