August 31, 2015

The Reading Book Post, August 31st


Hello, everyone! Are you ready to welcome the fall? I am and I can't wait for the weather to become chillier. Anyway, tomorrow I'll be travelling all day long. But, as every Monday, let's see what happened in the literary world the previous week.

  • Sad news. Oliver Sacks, the neurologist and author of books such as Awakenings and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat has passed away last week at the age of 82. Many people from the literary world paid him tribute.


  • Have you read The Shepherd's Crown yet? Author Neil Gaiman has revealed that Terry Pratchett had a different ending planned for this novel, but he died before he could get it down on paper.

  • The Japanese book company Kinokuniya has bought 90% of the first print of Haruki Murakami's upcoming collection of essays. The reason for this is to rival online book retailers. Novelist as a Vocation will be published on September 10, 2015.

  •  Warm Bodies has a prequel novella! It's called The New Hunger, it was originally self-published in 2013 and it will be officially released on October 6. You can now read an excerpt.


  • Scarlett Johannson went to court, in order to block the translation in English of a French novel, that is about the relationship between a man and the star's look-alike. The novel The First Thing You See will be eventually be published in the UK in September. 

  • Freedom of speech is one of the issues that concern me. Who better to speak about controversial books, censorship threats to graphic novels than Neil Gaiman? This was one of the most interesting interviews I've read so far. 

  • Last week, I told you that Morrissey will release his first novel at the end of September. Now, we can see the cover. List of the Lost will be published on September 24 by Penguin.

  • Guess the Book by Food Quotes. This quiz is for the hungry ones!


13 comments:

  1. I am so ready for fall woo-hoo! I have been wanting to check out Warm Bodies, maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready for fall too! I love curling up with my dog and a cup of tea and reading. And all things pumpkin! And cozy sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the weather to get a little chillier! Hot tea and sweaters <3

      Delete
  3. That interview is so, so interesting to read - sometimes I feel like our society has conditioned certain situations, ideas and concepts so much that we almost prevent freedom when it comes to less "safe" topics. At the same time, I learn so much about child development in Psychology so I would be wary of some issues being brought to them at a young age, it's an interesting debate!

    Raashi
    raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, growing up I read what it seemed interesting to me. I never thought about a book containing violence or anything. Think about the classic fairy tales: they are not what we would call children-friendly nowadays. But how many children grew up with them?

      Delete
  4. Hello!

    I was recently nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award, and I've nominated you, also. While you may not be interested in this blog award - and may not want to deal with it, which is fine - I am using it as a way to draw attention to your site - on my site. When you click on this link (http://recniky.com/2015/08/26/blogger-recognition-award-from-ms-linh-tran/) you will see a little blurb about every blog I've nominated.

    I truly appreciate your blog and the information, interest, enthusiasm, and work you bring to it. If you have any questions/concerns, please use the "Contact Me" page on my site (http://recniky.com/contact-me/).

    Here are the 'rules' of this award.

    1. Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to.
    2. You cannot nominate yourself or the person who has nominated you.
    3. Write a post to show your award.
    4. Give a brief story of how your blog started.
    5. Give a piece of advice or two to new bloggers.
    6. Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
    7. Attach the award to the post (right click and save, then upload).
    8. Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them.
    9. Provide a link to the award post you created.

    Thanks for your time.

    Best,
    Jo Doran
    Inklings of a Bookworm (recniky.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The interview was really good!
    I have not read Warm Bodies....need to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the concept of Warm Bodies and I'll need to check it out myself too :)

      Delete
  6. I like your books post it so interesting the facts you present. You put a lot of work into it. It's Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always trying to find the most interesting and inspiring literary news :D

      Delete
  7. Hi, I'm inviting you to join Book Blogs Unite, it's a project that aims to unite all book bloggers and lovers all around the world. For more details check the link: http://youlivealife.blogspot.com/2015/08/book-blogs-unite.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for inviting me! This sounds amazing, I'm checking it out :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)