Hello, everyone! We're in the middle of August and I'm eager to welcome the fall. The funny books themed read is coming to an end (review for Funny Girl will be posted soon), so if you have any suggestions for the next themed read please let me know. Moreover, a new feature will be posted on Wednesday. You will learn more in two days. For now, let's see what happened in the literary world the previous week.
- Written in 1914 The Story of Kullervo, a novel by J.R.R. Tolkien will be published on August 27, 2015. The novel is based on the Finnish poem Kalevala and it was originally published in an academic journal.
- George R.R. Martin revealed that the ending of A Song of Ice and Fire series will be bittersweet. More precisely, he said that he was influenced by the ending of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and aims for this kind of tone. Hopefully, The Winds of Winter will be released next year.
- Judith Kerr, the author and illustrator of children's novels such as The Tiger Who Came to Tea, will publish her first novel since 1978. The 92-year-old writer delivered the manuscript earlier this year and Mister Cleghorn's Seal will be released on September 10, 2015.
- 473 answers from Haruki Murakami's online advice service were gathered by the Japanese publisher Shinchosa in a new hardcover book. The author insisted on the digital publication of all the 3,716 answers, which if printed would number a total of eight volumes. Both of those editions are, for the time being, only in Japanese.
- Wink Poppy Midnight, the YA mystery is the third novel by April Genevieve Tucholke. But it is due for release next year. Now, you can see the cover and read an exclusive excerpt. I have to admit that it got me pretty interested!
- Marvel has announced the new series Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, in which Jack Kirby's 1978 Devil Dinosaur will team up with Lunella Lafayett or Moon Girl. The series will be written by Amy Reeder and Brandon Montclare and it will be illustrated by Natacha Bustos.
- Which Austen Heroine Are You? You can find out in this quiz. I got Elinor Dashwood and I have to admit that she's the one I've always felt closer to! Who did you get?