August 21, 2015

The Classics Club Spin #10


The Classics Club is doing another Classics Club Spin. In this event, all the Classics Club members are called to read a classic book within a certain amount of time. But it's not that simple. Each one who wants to participate makes a Spin list, then the Club announces a certain number and the book that it's in that list's number is the one that you have to read. In the last spin, I read Dracula by Bram Stoker. I can't wait to find out which classic I'll have to read for this one!

So, here is my list:
  1. Turn of the Screw by Henry James
  2. Nana by Emile Zola
  3. Flatland by Edwin A. Abbot
  4. Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
  5. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
  6. Twice-Told Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  7. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim
  8. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
  9. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
  10. Howards End by E.M.Forster
  11. Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
  12. Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford
  13. La Dame aux Camelias by Alexander Dumas-fis
  14. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
  15. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  16. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  17. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  18. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
  19. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
  20. Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore
From these books I'm eager to read Wives and Daughters, Sons and Lovers, Parade's End and Howards End.  The ones I am afraid of are Nana, Lorna Doone, Flatland and La Dame aux Camelias. Anyway, on Monday we'll learn the lucky number.


20 comments:

  1. You have a lot of my favorites on my list! Ethan Frome and Wives and Daughters are two of my all-time favorites, though they're totally different. Enchanted April is also wonderful. I was scared of Lawrence but I thought Sons and Lovers was great. Good luck on your spin pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Chatterley's Lover and Women in Love are among my favourite books of all time, so I hope to get the D.H.Lawrence one! I like Gaskell a lot too. I'm glad to hear that Ethan Frome and Enchanted April are wonderful :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, I also have Wives and Daughters in the #8 spot! Fun. Do not worry about Flatland, it is a neat book and not difficult. I'm nervous about Lorna Doone myself; someday I will read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I was intrigued by Flatland. I generally like maths and I really enjoy novels that include some (like The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa). I've enjoyed immensely the other novels of Elizabeth Gaskell that I've read, so I hope that Wives and Daughters will be a great choice, as well! Wow, we do have it on the same spot! :D

      Delete
  3. All Quiet on the Western Front is one of my favorites! And Ethan Frome is wonderful as well. I would be a little intimidated by #1, but that's just me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found All Quiet on the Western Front on a second-hand bazaar. It's a beautiful hardcover edition and I treasure it. I hope I'll soon read it as well. I don't know what to expect from The Turn of the Screw.

      Delete
  4. I read Lorna Doone a while ago and really struggled with it but I know some people who love it. Turn of the Screw is my favourite Henry James and I love Wives and Daughters. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too! I'm a little intimidated by Lorna Doone, but it will be a challenge if it turns out I have to read it for this spin :)

      Delete
  5. Wow...I love classics and currently there are all I am reading.
    I have only read one book in the list posted by you and that is 'Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger :(
    But, I do have Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell in my TBR
    Can't wait to here what book you end up reading and please review it too when you are done..Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This spin is an amazing idea and it's actually a way to read a classic you might have hesitated to do so otherwise. For the last spin, I read Dracula and I'll surely review the one I'll get from this spin. We'll learn which on Monday :)

      Delete
  6. I really want to read #19, so I hope you get that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turn of the Screw is fantastic! Hope you get something fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like it. I hope so too. Good luck :)

      Delete
  8. I look over your list and think I need to add boks to my list. Oh no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see the other lists I have the same reactions! So many classics that I want to read :)

      Delete
  9. Nana was my first Zola but definitely not my last. The Moonstone is surprising good - a real page turner.
    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little hesitant about Nana and if I get this one it will be a great opportunity to actually pick it up. The Moonstone seems fascinating :)

      Delete
  10. Okay, this is funny ...... do you know that you, Jean and I all have Wives and Daughters at number 8? This is really a first. If that number is picked, we'll be doing an unintentional read-along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This is amazing! Who would have guessed the same book in the same number in three different lists :D

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)