September 17, 2015

Thursday Quotables: Daniel Deronda



Hello, everyone! Welcome to Thursday Quotables! This weekly feature is hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies. Every week we highlight a great quote, line, or passage discovered during your reading each week.


I've started reading Daniel Deronda (1876) by George Eliot for the Classics Club Spin #10. I am completely taken with the writing style of Eliot and I believe that I couldn't be luckier in the spin. Anyway, today I will share with you a small passage about home.


A human life, I think, should be well rooted in some spot of a native land, where it may get the love of tender kinship for the face of earth, for the labors men go forth to, for the sounds and accents that haunt it, for whatever will give that early home a familiar unmistakable difference amid the future widening of knowledge: a spot where the definiteness of early memories may be inwrought with affection, and - kindly acquaintance with all neighbors, even to the dogs and donkeys, may spread not by sentimental effort and reflection, but as a sweet habit of the blood.

Have you read Daniel Deronda? What do you think of this passage? What makes a home to you?

8 comments:

  1. I've never read this author before, but I love the quote! It's really touching the way he describes home, and you know what? I think he's right :) It shouldn't be an effort, it should be habit! I like the bit about affectionate memories from childhood.
    Great quote!
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes home so special to any of us? It's all of those thinks she mentions, the accents, the labours, the neighbours, everything :)

      Delete
  2. Daniel Deronda is one of those books that keeps getting suggested as a classic read for my book group, but we haven't agreed on it yet! I hope we do - I'd love the motivation to read this, and I love this passage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it in my TBR list for many many years and at last I've started reading it, thanks to the Classics Club Spin. I love it so far :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, this passage is just, so deep and provoking. A home is a place you feel most comfortable, secure and at ease (with lots of love around you). Not gonna lie though, as soon as I get home, my bed is my favourite part! :P

    Raashi
    raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that's so true! But there is always something about the place you grow up that you can't forget about it. When you are there, you can tell it with all of your senses :)

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this book before, but that quote sounds so deep! I should definitely check it out!

    http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/2015/09/thursday-quotables-8-shatter-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic and so far it's wonderful! :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)