July 26, 2020

Discussion: What are your Reading Quirks?


Hello, everyone! How is your summer going? As I've already told you, I'm in a somewhat inactive state, just working and reading Utopia Avenue. I've yet to finish it but I can already talk on and on about this book. However, I'll keep all my thoughts for the review, which will be live next week (I hope so). The only thing I will tell you is that this book will have a Play(list) by the Book, and a lengthy one.

Anyway, today we are going to talk about our reading quirks. A thing that you hear a lot about bookworms is how particular we are about reading and books. There are even jokes about it! And the thing is that it is completely true. There are no two readers that have the same habits. Some of the things we do might even be considered weird. I know, for sure, that some of my quirks can raise a brow or two, but we'll get to that later. So, let's get to it...

What are your reading quirks?


And with this, it's time to spill the beans. Some of my reading quirks are normal, for some I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but overall they make my reading what it is.

I always, and I mean ALWAYS, read the last sentence of a book.

How do you determine if you want to read a book or not? Is it the cover, the premise, the first page, or none of the above? For me, it's the last sentence of the book. This is probably the weirdest and most embarrassing of my reading quirks, as many people look me in horror when they find out. However, I have always been subconsciously doing it.

For me, this is a clear indicator of whether I will enjoy a book or not and it's only on rare occasions that I was proven wrong. This reading quirk, though, isn't working well with e-books, as the preview usually includes only some parts from the first chapters.

As for spoilers, the last sentence is rarely one. Imagine a murder mystery - the killer is revealed in the last (or second to last) chapter, but not in the last line. It would be weird to just end "The detective revealed that it was all X's doing. THE END". I honestly don't know what it is, but there you have it!

I hate it when they change a perfectly fine book cover for the movie one

I know that this is more of a marketing thing, but is there a reason why they can't keep the two mediums apart? Yes, if I loved a book I will watch the movie and if I loved a movie I might read the book (but not always). I even own some books that have the movie cover, for example Atonement by Ian McEwan. However, I will go out of my way to find a book cover that I actually like to keep on my bookshelf.

If I have the choice, I will read the original version of the book and not the translation

I know that this might not apply to many native English speakers. However, as a native Greek speaker, I can find many books both in English and Greek. When I have a choice, I will always go for the book in English, if this was the original language. For example, right now I'm reading Utopia Avenue (I haven't already mentioned it 1000 times). Some days ago, a Greek publishing house announced that the book will be translated in Greek and will become available in 2021. There is no way that I could wait this much to read the most awaited novel of the year for me. Moreover, I'm not sure how this writing style is going to be translated (I know, I know, but more on that on my review). And, of course, I am a die-hard David Mitchell fan that I had pre-ordered a hardcover and signed edition of the book. 

However, as much as I would love to, I don't have much choice when it comes to Japanese literature. My level in Japanese isn't that advanced to understand a novel, and the majority of them aren't translated in Greek. So, almost all the Japanese literature I read is through English translations.

I don't mind spoilers

This applies to books, comics, movies, series, video games, etc. Luckily, this quirk enables me to watch/read the same story on different mediums and still maintain my interest. I could give Pride and Prejudice as an example, and I know that there are many other Jane Austen fans who do the same.

(I liked the Cloud Atlas movie adaptation, though)

I don't read all the books of a series one after another

It's so rare for me to pick the first instalment of the series, and then the second, the third,...., until I finish it. I will read the first one, then move on to other books, and some months later, I will move on to the second book. Even though I usually do that, I have no trouble remembering the characters and story. The longest I've done to read the last book of a series was 5-ish years! According to Goodreads, I read Artemis Fowl #7 in 2014 and Artemis Fowl #8 in 2019. Go figure!

I'm hesitant to read books that are 600+ pages long...

...but this doesn't mean that I won't read one if it piques my interest. Nevertheless, if I'm between two books, the number of pages can usually be the deciding factor. It's not that I want to show that I've read more in a year. Instead, I think that I feel that a novel this long is a commitment that I can't easily make. 

So, there you have it! What are your reading quirks?

11 comments:

  1. OMG! I would read the last sentence of books too when I was younger. The only thing that has stuck and still a quirk is seeing how many pages/chapters are in a book. I'm such a slow reader, that it's very important detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not alone in reading the last sentence! I always get a shocked reaction haha
      Yes, number of pages is important when you are a slow reader. So many books, so little time!

      Delete
  2. I agree that 600+ books are a little daunting for me. I fear I will get bored. I guess my biggest reading quirk is that I can never stop reading in the middle of the chapter. I have to finish the chapter no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a big commitment going into a 600+ pages' book.
      I believe this quirk is very common. I also want to finish the chapter before I close the book :)

      Delete
  3. I also hate movie covers. They’re rarely as pretty as the original. I guess my spreadsheets are a reading quirk. I’m obsessive about tracking my reading statistics.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, hate the movie tie ins with one exception- The Boys by Garth Ennis. They had the actors recreate covers from the comics, pose for pose, and Keith Urban is just so nice to look at. Plus the orginal covers are still used inside so you aren’t really missing them.

      I also track my book stats and am obsessed with adding to my “score” - my main metrics are pages read, and I’m trying to read at least a book a day (I deal exclusively with graphic novels).

      Delete
    2. Movie posters in book covers - who thought of that?
      Well...if you like the actor, then you don't have anything to complain about haha

      Do you use a specific program to track your reading and get your score?

      Delete
  4. "I hate it when they change a perfectly fine book cover for the movie one." We're the same on this! Why not just add a note somewhere on the cover that it is being adapted into a movie? 😑 Also, I hate it when first edition book covers are changed into something I don't like. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hate stickers haha If I love a book, then I WILL watch the movie. For me, changing the book cover is not a promotion.

      Delete
  5. LOL, you have a valid reason for reading the last sentence of a book, because it's true that it's rarely - if ever - a spoiler. Then again, I wouldn't want the last line revealed!

    I always read the original version of the book too - at least I have since I started blogging. There's always something lost in translation, and my English reading level is pretty high anyway, so why not?

    "The longest I've done to read the last book of a series was 5-ish years!"
    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we call them reading quirks :P (I was wondering whether I should include the 5-ish years haha)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)