March 16, 2020

Play(list) by the Book - King Suckerman, by George Pelecanos


Hello, everyone! I hope that you are doing well and stay healthy. It's been a really long time. In the past few months I was buried in a tone of work and most of my personal projects were left behind. However, I still make the time to read and I will try to be more active (not making promises though). This is Play(list) by the Book which has been sitting on my drafts for a long and finally the time has come to share it with you! This playlist comes from the book King Suckerman, written by George Pelecanos. It's a quite lengthy list, so sit back and enjoy (or dance to the funk)!


As per usual, the playlist consists of songs mentioned in the book. I have also included songs of the artists and albums mentioned in the text. In those cases I have chosen a song that I really like. I couldn't find on Spotify Edwin Birdsong's song Rising Sign, so I included another song from him,.However, in King Suckerman there was a great number of albums mentioned, so I thought I should give you a complete list of them. If you notice any song or album missing, let me know in the comments below!

List of Albums:
01. Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
02. Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
03. Rufus ft. Chaka Khan - Rufisized
04. Parliament - America Eats Its Young
05. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
06. Earth, Wind, & Fire - Gratitude
07. Big Star - Radio City
08. Captain Beefheart - Spotlight Kid
09. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
10. Buddy Miles - More Miles per Gallon
11. Mahavisnu Orchestra - Visions of Emerald Beyond
12. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
13. Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile
14. David Sancious - Transformation (the speed of love)
15. Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything
16. Bonnie Raitt - Home Plate
17. Gill Scott Heron - Winter in America
18. Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
19. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd)
20. Funkadelic - Standing on the Verge of Getting it On
21. Parliament - Osmium
22. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
23. Graham Central Station - Ain't no 'Bout-A-Doubt it
24. Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter And
25. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
26. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
27. Gong - You
28. Barry White - Stone Gon'
29. Led Zeppelin - House of the Holy
30. Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards
31. Mahogany Rush - Child of the Novelty
32. Blue Oyster Cult - Self-titled
33. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I
34. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
35. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
36. Al Green - Call Me
37. J. Geils - Bloodshot
38. James Brown - The Payback
39. Kool & The Gang - Wild & Peaceful
40. Bachman Turner Overdrive - Bachman Turner Overdrive II
41. Rich Derringer - All American Boy
42. Jimi Hendrix - Are you Experienced?
43. Lou Reed - Sally Can't Dance


Find more playlists at: Play(list) by the Book
Radio Show: Play(list) by the Book

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! Every time I read and see a lot of musical references, I always think a composed playlist of them would make the experience so much more immersive so this post is so nice to see.

    https://bookstune.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right and this is the reason why I started compiling these playlists. You can especially find some authors, like Stephen King, Haruki Murakami, and Nick Hornby, who use a loooot of musical references. I think that Pelecanos might be the same.

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)