August 12, 2015

Review: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert



Title: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Author: Neil Gaiman

Illustrator: Andy Kubert

Publisher: DC Comics

Date of Publication: 2009

Number of Pages: 128




Review

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? This is the question that this two-part comic is trying to answer. The very end of Batman. The title, as Neil Gaiman explains in the foreword, is a pun to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, which is the conclusion to the mythology of Superman. It feels appropriate and suits perfectly the feel of the story.

The plot is quite simple. Batman is dead and all of the characters, Albert, Joker, Riddler, Catwoman, attend his funeral. Each of them offers a different version of Batman's story and death. This way, this comic can work as the final Batman story in any given occasion. But the last few pages left me in awe. Both the art and the conclusion of the story were excellent.

I know that it's a common thing in comics for the heroes to die and then return again with a way or another. This version though felt different. Batman kept trying to fight crime in Gotham and his own demons, but he always ended up getting killed. It was the natural ending we all expected, despite the futility. Batman fell while fighting and it felt right. Besides every mythology needs some closure and we are offered one here.

I won't hide that my admiration for Neil Gaiman's work is growing as I read more of his bibliography. Indeed, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? is Gaiman at his best. It would be so easy for this comic to end up just another Batman issue, but what we finally get is what Batman means to the author. He shows his respect to all the previous writers, but he never loses his personal take of the superhero.

But, the art style was also magnificent. It's dark and it's distinctive. I loved every villains' car. There were so many details that added to the final result. And those final pages! You have to see them with your own eyes.  

If you love superheroes, but if you don't as well, if you are familiar with comics, but even if you're not, don't hesitate to read this one! Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? is dark and impressive. I can't recommend it enough. This is what happened to the caped crusader.

So, my advice is...

Ride the Batmobile!

9 comments:

  1. this comic was a fresh take on the Batman mythos..can't forget Albert's story it was so surprising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was! Ok, I'll admit that when I saw Neil Gaiman's name on the cover I knew that I had to read it. Albert's story was surprising. I won't forget the page when he puts makeup on (big applaud to Andy Kubert)

      Delete
  2. I have not heard of this book before, but it sounds very unique. I am interested in hearing the different versions of Batman's story from each character and seeing the artwork. I believe I will have to check this book out.
    ~Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed! A good comic is always welcome :D

      Delete
  3. Haha, I absolutely love the pun on the title! I'll have to read this someday. I've also nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award :) Details here: http://erikabooksandstars.blogspot.ca/2015/08/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was so appropriate!

      Oh, the same award as Carrie and Julia! Thank you so much! I'll post is as soon as possible :D

      Delete
  4. Great review! You just got a new follower ^^

    Myra @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm checking out your blog as well :D

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)