August 7, 2015

Review: Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth by John Moe


Title: Deat Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth: And Other Pop Culture Correspondences

Author: John Moe

Publisher: Three Rivers Press

Date of Publication: 2014

Number of Pages: 304

Summary

We all know how Darth Vader shared his big secret with Luke Skywalker, but what if he had delivered the news in a handwritten note instead? And what if someone found that letter, as well as all of the drafts that landed in the Dark Lord’s trash can? In the riotously funny collection Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth, John Moe finally reveals these lost notes alongside all the imagined letters, e-mails, text messages, and other correspondences your favorite pop culture icons never meant for you to see.

Like a like a bonus track to a favorite CD or a deleted scene from a cult movie, Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth offer a fresh twist on the pop culture classics we thought we knew by heart. You already know part of their story. Now find out the rest.

Review

I couldn't pick up Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth a better time of the year. It proved to be a really easy and quick read, with a lot of pop culture references. In collections like this, everyone can find something to like.

But an essential condition for this book to work is that you have to be familiar with each reference. In my case, I loved Vader's letters, Captain Kirk's log and the engineer's notes from the recording of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. The most hilarious part was The Exchange between Neal Hefti, creator of the Batman TV theme song, and the show's producer. Who hasn't heard Batman, Batman, Batman, Nananananananana Batman? It was really awesome to read how John Moe imagined how it came to be. 

Moreover, I can't understand how the author acquired the Top secret British intelligence notes on the fates of Agents 001 through 006. It was enlightening about why Bond has this certain way of acting and why his face is constantly changing. Another shocking document in this book was the Note to Clark Kent from the maker of his new glasses. I mean, we all know that he looks like a certain superhero, but how can a pair of glasses distort his image so much that nobody recognises him? 

It appears that the writer has acquaintances in the music industry as well. As I have already revealed we learn the whole story behind the making of the album Rumours through the eyes of the engineer. If you are a fan of Fleetwood Mac like me, then you'll love this part. But these are not the only documents concerning really popular musicians and songs. We read the Notes on "Sweet Child o' Mine" as delivered to Axl Rose by his editor. The lyrics were almost altered and the song would never be the same again. Finally, Leonard Cohen text messages Leonard Cohen whilst writing a new song gives us insight on how this songwriter created one of his most well-known songs. You can easily guess which one.

Throughout this book, there was a running gag of Rejected Superbowl Halftime Show Proposals. I have to admit that this was the worst part for me. Not all of them were uninspired, but most of them felt like it. But it was only a small part of the book, so it didn't really bother me. I can't really complain about anything.

All in all, Dear Luke, We Need to Talk, Darth is a very enjoyable book. It brought laughter to me in more than one cases and it was just what I needed. I didn't have any problem with the pop culture references since most of them are well-known, so my enjoyment wasn't spoiled. I would recommend it to everybody, especially if you want a really quick read or something easy to read between heavier books. 

So, my advice is...

Join the Walker's (Notable Zombies') forum!           

6 comments:

  1. Just the title alone makes me want to read this book! Haha, I guess I'll have to brush up on some of the music industry references! Great review :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title was what got my attention at the bookstore. And it's been proven to be a really fun read :)

      Delete
  2. This book looks pretty fun. I find books that rely on pop culture related humour can fall flat if you don't know or like what it's referencing. Anyway, it still looks entertaining. It's certainly an original concept and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I agree with you in this one, but luckily in this book John Moe deals with really well-known references, so I didn't really have a problem :)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh this looks like it's quite good! :O I think it'll be ok for me to read it just before the new Star Wars movie comes up maybe? That's a long way from now though :( *weeps*
    And i can't believe it's got Bond too, i mean how good does it get??

    Love your review, sweetie ^^

    Ella
    Naga Sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Episode VII is still a few months away (I can't wait!!!). This book was fun and quick to read and you'll love most o f the references :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)