August 22, 2015

Confession Saturday: Dear Lady Chatterley


Hello, everyone! Confession Saturday is a weekly feature, in which we will have the chance to express our feelings towards certain characters. This time of the week we will choose one character and write to him/her about all the things we would like to say. We can explain why we like or dislike each character, which of his/her actions we don't understand and generally whatever comes to mind. 


Today I'll write a letter to Lady Constance Chatterley from Lady Chatterley's Lover (1928) by D.H. Lawrence. She is a woman in an unsatisfactory marriage and has the courage to fight for what she wants. 


Dear Connie,

first of all, we have the same name. This doesn't happen often in literature, so I was so happy when I found out about it. And in a novel I've read numerous times and I love.

I'm not sure that I like what you did. Cheating is always cheating, no matter why it happened. Your husband is so cold towards you and your marriage is clearly not a happy one. But divorce wasn't easy at the time and there was also the differences in classes. This brings me to the thing that I like about you. You stood up for what you wanted. You needed contact, you needed to feel wanted and loved and when you found those feelings you didn't let them go. Again, I'm not saying that what you did was right, but you did offer some of the most sensual scenes in literature.

I don't know what I would do if I were in your position. I admire that you were brave enough, especially towards the end, but I don't know if I would be like that. I hope you didn't lose what you had with Mellors as the time went by.

Yours,
Konna 

6 comments:

  1. Hmm... this actually looks like a book i might enjoy and it's the first time i'm hearing about it! *gasp* I suck, i know.

    I actually love a woman who stands up for what she wants, who goes after it and takes responsibility for it. Now, since i don't know the plot of the book, i'm just gonna assume, since it's an old one, that the marriage was arranged and this sort of stuff happened a lot when that was the case. I definitely have to read it though to see better what's going on.

    Ella
    Naga Sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that it wasn't an arranged marriage. The relationship between them is so complex. I totally recommend it :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like I will love this story, hate that there were, and can still be, stigmas around divorce, if people aren't happy then it's the right decision - so intrigued by a story from a long time ago that was brave enough to flip the socially accepted constructs.

    Raashi
    http://raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The era was different. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: D.H. Lawrence taught me how to feel. This novel is emotional, sensual, thought-provoking :)

      Delete
  3. I wonder how I've never heard about this before ! Sounds like somthing I will like although I don't like cheating matters !
    Lovely letter :)

    @ "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't like cheating as well. But you see how unhappy a marriage this is. Of course, the affair wasn't always easy :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)