Another Monday morning is here. The Easter in Greece was celebrated yesterday and soon the holidays will be over. In two days, I have my birthday and the cake is not a lie (actually it will be the Chocolate Celebration Cake from Jamie's Comfort Food). For once more, let's discover what happened in the literary world this week.
- This week's award news concern winners! Atticus Lish is the 2015 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction winner for his novel Preparation for the Next Life. The other award in an art prize. To be precise, Tessa Farmer won the British Science Fiction Award for her sculptural tribute to Iain Bank's first novel, the Wasp Factory.
- A story written by Queen Victoria when she was 10 years old will be published on June 8. The story is called The Adventures of Alice Laselles, and the young future queen signed under the name of Alexandrina Victoria, aged 10 3/4.
- A fake play by William Shakespeare has been proved genuine. Double Falsehood was first published in 1728 by Lewis Theobald but was soon considered a forgery. Now a new study has proven that the play was indeed written by Shakespeare himself.
- Colouring books for adults are a thing. And they are amazing! Johanna Basford, a Scottish illustrator, tops the Amazon bestsellers list with her impressive colouring books, Secret Garden and the follow-up Enchanted Forest. I think I've just found myself a new hobby!
- In a few days, 200 years from the birth of Anthony Trollope will be celebrated. To honour him, various authors pick their favourite novels, including The Way We Live Now and He Knew He Was Right. Have you read any of Trollope's works?
- The cover for the new novel by Jonathan Freedland has been revealed. It's the author's sixth novel and it's called The 3rd Woman. Expected date of publication is July 2. What do you think about the cover?
- Grimm Brothers' Fairy Tales are different to the versions and the retellings we are accustomed to. But how much do we know about the original ones? Test yourself with this quiz. Luckily I've read them quiet recently and I got 10/12, how about you?