Hello eveyone! This post is a part of a new column where each Monday I will post the most interesting literary news and articles I've found all week.
- First of all, is anyone else also a big fan of romance? Then, you will be glad to learn the shortlist of The Romantic Novelists' Association Awards which were announced earlier in February. This gallery has all the nominees and the covers of their books. Interestingly there are 3 men among the 36 nominees in 6 different categories. Which is your favourite romance sub-genre? Have you read any of the books that were shortlisted? Personally I prefer the historical romance.
- Although it's against the rules, let's talk about The Fight Club. To be precise, The Fight Club 2 which the author Chuck Palahniuk gave the six first pages to the Playboy. The novel will be published in 10 issues and the first one will be available to public on May 27th.
- The most interesting news of the week though are those concerning Catwoman. The DC superhero in the latest issue Catwoman #39 is revealed as bisexual. Genevieve Valentine, who is currently scripting the issues, wrote about it on her blog stating that "She's (Catwoman) flirted around it - often quite literally - for years now; for me, this wasn't a revelation so much as a confirmation".
- Any Harry Potter fans here? This week J.K. Rowling: A Bibliography 1997-2013 was published by Bloomsbury. The book contains a lot of behind-the-scenes stories as well insights in the process of writting and editing the Harry Potter series. Interesting, right?
- Last but not least, a recent study at The Guardian has shown that JRR Tolkien books have dropped from the popular list of the teenagers in the UK. I am one of those that as a child grew up with The Lord of the Rings and I've always considered it to be one of the most suitable books for every child. That doesn't mean though that the popular books right now aren't that suitable, it will be a lie if I said that I didn't enjoy them too. Anyway, it's an interesting study to see how the tastes are evolving.
- And a very fun quiz to make your day! Can you guess to which classics refer those 1-star Amazon reviews? I have to admit that some those took me by surprise.