June 3, 2016

The Classics Club Spin #13


The Classics Club is doing another Classics Club Spin. This is the fourth time that I'm participating and I couldn't be happier! In this event, all the Classics Club members are called to read a classic book within a certain amount of time. But it's not that simple. Each one who wants to participate makes a Spin list, then the Club announces a certain number and the book that it's in that list's number is the one that you have to read.

So, here is my list for list #13:
  1. Pygmalion, by George Bernard Shaw
  2. A Sentimental Journey, by Laurence Sterne
  3. The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler
  4. The Painted Veil, by W. Somerset Maugham
  5. The Rainbow, by D.H. Lawrence
  6. The Atom Station, by Halldor Laxness
  7. The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov
  8. The Good Woman of Setzuan, by Bertolt Brecht
  9. The Gambler, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  10. Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbott
  11. Beauty and Sadness, by Yasunari Kawabata
  12. A Sport and a Pastime, by James Salter
  13. Brave New World, by Aldous Haxley
  14. The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
  15. Utopia, by Thomas More
  16. Gothic Tales, by Elizabeth Gaskell
  17. The Fairy Tales of Herman Hesse
  18. A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  19. Nemesis, by Isaac Asimov
  20. Confessions of a Mask, by Yukio Mishima

This is it! From these books I'm more eager to read Nemesis, Gothic Tales, and The Big Sleep. Moreover, Beauty and Sadness and Confessions of a Mask would be very welcome, as I'm fond of Japanese literature. I dread to read The Gambler, Utopia, and The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt. On Monday, we'll know which will be the lucky book I'll have to read until August 1, 2016.

12 comments:

  1. That's a good mix! I have to say that I didn't like the only Maugham I ever read, but after they made that gorgeous movie of The Painted Veil, I was more interested in reading that. Haven't done so yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the film, but when I finally read this novel I'm going to watch it and compare it :)

      Delete
  2. You have an interesting list of choices here, some big name author's lesser known works! Love it! I just wanted to say that I've included Brave New World on my list, and put it at the same number you have. So if you want to read them together if they spin up, I'd love that. It's a great way of getting to know another classics reader!

    My spin list is at https://bookybecksa.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/the-classics-club-spin-13/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping to read Brave New World with you, it would be a great read-along! Well, maybe in the next spin :)

      Delete
  3. An interesting list indeed. I have A Sentimental Journey on my list, I think it's the first time I've seen that one anywhere else! Happy spinning to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truth that it's not mentioned very often. It might be the very first time that someone has commented it to me :)

      Delete
  4. Gothic Tales is a good one!

    I also tagged you for a book tag!

    http://sweetcherry69.blogspot.com/2016/06/totally-shouldve-book-tag.html#comment-form

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll do it as soon as I get some free time :)

      Delete
  5. A great list, Aeriko! Sadly I've not read most of them.. Nemesis, however, is one that I've heard of, and one that I would like to check out someday. Fingers crossed for you that a number is picked with a book you want to read! ;)

    Also, I see you're next themed read is books adapted to/from games. Might I recommend something from the Warcraft universe? There are dozens of novels to pick from - I don't believe they go in any particular order, so you can pretty much start anywhere. Most of them aren't masterpieces in the writing category, but I find the stories in them quite enjoyable. If you're a fantasy nerd like I can be. If not, then they might not be up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to mix it up a little on this list, with lesser known classics! I'll have to read Utopia and I'm a little afraid because I don't know what to expect!

      When I was creating the list for the themed read, I was considering of reading one of the Warcraft universe but I wasn't sure where to begin. I'm glad that they don't have a particular order, so I might add one to the theme. Now, I'm halfway ICO and I absolutely love it :)

      Delete
  6. This club sounds great. I would love to join and get more classics read. I hope you get the one you are most interested in. It can be a real struggle when forcing yourself to power through a classic you have little interest in.
    Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if Utopia was the classic that I was the most eager to read, but this spin is a great way to read books that you meant to read :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)