August 27, 2015

Blogger Recognition Award, '90s Movie Book Tag and Book Cover Guessing Challenge

Hello, everyone! I was invited to do some tags/awards and now that I finally got the time, I'll do them all in this post. It might be a long one but bear with me. I will also say beforehand that I won't tag anyone. You can all consider yourselves tagged and do them if you find them interesting :)

Blogger Recognition Award


Rules:


  1. Select 15 other blogs you want to give this award to. Do some digging if you must! Find those blogs. You cannot nominate yourself or the person who has nominated you.
  2. Write a post to show off your award! Give a brief story of how your blog got started and give a piece or two of advice to new bloggers. List who you nominated in your post. Make sure to attach the award yourself!
  3. Comment on each blog and let them know you've nominated them. Provide a link to your award post.
  4. Provide a link to the original post on Edge of Night. That way, anyone can find the original post if needed, and we can keep it from mutating and becoming confusing!

My story:


I've always been an avid reader. But I wanted to challenge myself. So, I thought of doing themed reads, it would also be a great chance to read some of the books that are in my TBR list for a long time. Then, I got the idea of sharing those themed reads with the blogosphere and this is how The Reading Armchair came to be. The first themed read (although I didn't call it like that) was David Mitchell's novel in chronological order, then I continued with a Japanese themed read and recently I finished with the funny books themed read. The upcoming theme will be all about books adapted to/from video games.


Advice to new bloggers:

  1.  Don't press yourself! You should always read books that you are interested in reading. I know it's great to have people ask you to read their novels, but you shouldn't push your limits. If you enjoy what you do then this will show on your blog as well.
  2. Be social. Be sure to answer to the comments people leave on your posts and try to visit and read their content. Apart from showing respect, it's also a nice way to create bonds among the blogosphere!


'90s Movie Book Tag

Thank you Julia @ For the Love of Books for tagging me :)

1. She's All That - Name a book couple that are an odd pairing but they still fit together perfectly

This couple would be Rosie and Don Tillman from The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

2. 10 Things I hate about you - a book or series that you have a love/hate relationship with

Kafka on the Shore, without a second thought. Although I wasn't particularly close to this novel, I've been thinking about it ever since I read it.

3. Clueless - A character that is totally clueless, but you love them anyway

Would Emma Woodhouse be too obvious, since Clueless is an adaptation of this novel? Well, I guess Emma it is. I like her no matter what!

4. Titanic - A book that made you cry

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa. I couldn't stop crying at the end.

5. American Pie - A book that made you laugh

That's an easy question since I've just finished the funny books themed read. Napalm & Silly Putty by George Carlin.

6. Can't Hardly Wait - A book with a crazy party

I'd say the Artemis Fowl series. They all are so different and the situations are always getting out of hand.

7. Cruel Intensions - Name a character you can never fully trust

Hugo from The Bone Clocks. He is charming and intelligent, but he also seems capable of doing great evil.

8. Name your favourite "boy next door" or "girl next door" couple

Anna and Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss. Such an adorable couple!

9. Scream - A book with a memorable villain

The Lord of the Rings series? I go classic again, but this is the book with the ultimate fight between evil and good. 

10. The Craft - A book with Witches

All Souls Trilogy. What more can I say? An excellent series!

Book Cover Guessing Challenge


Thanks a lot to Fiona @ A Girl Between the Pages for tagging me for this one!

So, in this one I'll choose four book covers and I'll try to guess the plot of the book. Will I succeed?



My guess: A girl meets accidentally a guy, they like each other but they get lost. They meet again after a while and in the end all ends well. 

Goodreads Summary:
Bridge is an accident survivor who's wondering why she's still alive. Emily has new curves and an almost-boyfriend who wants a certain kind of picture. Tabitha sees through everybody's games--or so she tells the world. The three girls are best friends with one rule: No fighting. Can it get them through seventh grade? 
This year everything is different for Sherm Russo as he gets to know Bridge Barsamian. What does it mean to fall for a girl--as a friend? 
On Valentine's Day, an unnamed high school girl struggles with a betrayal. How long can she hide in plain sight?

The result:
Not one but three girls. And I'm not sure if the three of them face romantic problems. I guess I was completely wrong.



My guess: This is definitely a mystery. There is a wedding that takes place in the woods and someone gets murdered. Then our protagonist tries to solve it, in order to survive herself.

Goodreads Summary:
Nora hasn’t seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back. 
In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house 
Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen do arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her? 
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room. 
But something goes wrong. Very wrong. 
And in the dark, dark room… 
Some things can’t stay secret forever.

The result:
I was part right. It is a mystery, but I'm not quiet sure what actually happens. Is the invitation for a wedding? The cover says so.



My guess: This one seems a typical historical novel. A poor girl who sells matches (?) meets an heiress and they become friends. But society doesn't allow it and they go against it.

Goodreads Summary:
Nellie Dowell was a match factory girl in Victorian London who spent her early years consigned to orphanages and hospitals. Muriel Lester, the daughter of a wealthy shipbuilder, longed to be free of the burden of money and possessions. Together, these unlikely soulmates sought to remake the world according to their own utopian vision of Christ’s teachings. The Match Girl and the Heiress paints an unforgettable portrait of their late-nineteenth-century girlhoods of wealth and want, and their daring twentieth-century experiments in ethical living in a world torn apart by war, imperialism, and industrial capitalism.

The Result:
I was so close! Ok, there are a thing or two that I couldn't guess but this is definitely a success!



My guess: This book is set in the far future. There is an evil alliance that took over the space and there are also some rebels who try to resist (I'm a Star Wars fan). And they live in constant danger of getting uncovered and getting killed.

Goodreads Summary:
Nine hundred thousand years ago, something annihilated the Amarantin civilization just as it was on the verge of discovering space flight. Now one scientist, Dan Sylveste, will stop at nothing to solve the Amarantin riddle before ancient history repeats itself. With no other resources at his disposal, Sylveste forges a dangerous alliance with the cyborg crew of the starship Nostalgia for Infinity. But as he closes in on the secret, a killer closes in on him. Because the Amarantin were destroyed for a reason — and if that reason is uncovered, the universe—and reality itself — could be irrecoverably altered…

The result:
I was completely wrong! It's not even set in future. Oh, well...

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the award!
    Great answers for the 90's tag! I agree with Lord of the Rings!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 90s tag is so fun! The Rosie Project is a perfect answer.

    Congrats on the award! Well-deserved, and great advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! Rosie and Don are so different, but such a good match in the end :)

      Delete
  3. I think the main thing I loved about this was your advice to be social - I can't even tell you how much it meant to me that you were one of the first people to read my blog and be so, so sweet. So glad you were one of my first blogging friends :)

    Raashi
    raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the most important things! And for me one of the most fascinating. It's so nice that I've made so many friends through the blogosphere all over the world :D

      Delete
  4. Nice tags, congrats on them :)
    I like your answers!
    Caroline @ Just Another Bookish Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I had a really fun time doing them :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)