July 20, 2015

The Reading Book Post, July 20th


Hello, everyone! Summer has really got to me and my mind is constantly thinking about the sea, the beach and the sun. But, as every Monday, let's take a look on what happened in the literary world the previous week.

  • The Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year 2015 was awarded to Sarah Hilary for her novel Someone Else's Skin. This was the author debut crime novel.

  • So, a new Sherlock Holmes novel will be published. Written by Bonnie MacBird, Art in the Blood is due on October 6, 2015. But, you can read right now an exclusive excerpt. Another novel to expect in the fall! 


  • Not only Sherlock Holmes returns but the Star Wars franchise has a new book. Aftermath is written by Chuck Wendig and will be published on September 4, 2015. The story will take place after the events of The Return of the Jedi and will connect the original trilogy with the forthcoming A Force Awakens. There is also a small passage available

  • London's Young Adult Literature Convention is taking place these days. Watch Patrick Ness read an extract from his new novel. The Rest of Us Just Live Here is coming on August 27, 2015.

  • As the voting period for the Hugo Awards is approaching, George R. R. Martin urges all the science fiction fans to participate. He underlines that this year's is one of the most controversial processes in the award's history. The deadline for the voting is on July 31, 2015.


  • The 2015 London Literature Festival will highlight Herman Melville and his classic novel Moby Dick.  A live reading of the well-known novel will be held in 160 ten-minute readings by actors, writers, and comedians.




  • If Your life Were A Western Novel, What Would Your Story Be? Take the quiz to find out! I got Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. What did you get?


10 comments:

  1. Yay for the new Sherlock Holmes! :) And that keyboard shortcut link is so awesome! Haha . I got Savage Heat by Nan Ryan, this quiz's questions were definitely more of a stretch for me :P But I might actually give this book a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! This quiz was a little weird! Well, Savage Heat sounds steamy..
      I can't also wait for the new Sherlock Holmes novel :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for the new Sherlock Holmes!

    fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is the Hugo Awards so controversial this year?

    http://scienceofadornment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually a group of right-leaning writers the "Sad Puppies" organised a set of titles which were voted on the shortlist by their supporters. This caused several other nominees to withdraw from the awards. It's a sad business this year.

      Delete
  4. I've returned from France! Unfortunately I was there for the EU talks on Greece so I didn't quite grasp the finer details (my French isn't that good) but from what I've read back in Ireland it looked liked Tsipras finally used his brain. I kind of feel sorry for him because ultimately he never, ever would have been allowed to leave the euro or get favourable conditions for a third bailout, and I commend him for trying at least, but he should have known he would have got nowhere. Also Varoufakis is a hypocritical twat and I'm glad he's gone. How are things over there at the moment? You don't really see it in the news any more so I was interested to hear how things are going.

    Sorry about that rant, you're basically the only person on the blogosphere I can talk about the Greek crisis to so I wanted to say my (incoherent) piece.

    Anyway, that news about the Hugo Awards controversy is pretty interesting. To be honest I plan not to vote. While the whole 'beat the bad guys' attitude is laudable, I'd rather just let them win and then shame the fuck out of them. Awards chosen by popular vote are a bit empty anyway, and I have a feeling this is the beginning of the end for the Hugo's.

    DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! *menacing horn and string music plays*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful time :)

      Thank you for taking an interest on the situation in Greece. You're actually the first one to ask me about it. The situation isn't good. We've got used to the capital control after all this time, but what's really disheartening is the uncertainty. Now there is a great chance of going to elections and of this happens the results won't be good for the country. And there isn't really anything to reassure us that it's going to be ok, I don't want to think about the future anymore. Well, if you want to learn more details send me an email.

      I'm not planning in voting for the Hugo Awards, neither. But I'm curious to see how this situation turns out.

      Delete
  5. Yaay for the The Rest of Us Just Live Here book from Patrick Ness. He is such a good writer omg! Can't wait for it :D Oh and by the way, I nominated you for the Liebster Award :) So if ever you are up for it, have fun :D Great post Aeriko :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll answer your questions later today since I was nominated for another award as well :D

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)