July 10, 2015

Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Title: Anna and the French Kiss

Author: Stephanie Perkins

Publisher: Dutton Juvenile

Date of Publication: December 2010

Number of Pages: 372

Summary

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

Review

Lately, I've been in the mood for romance. So I've read some romance novels, both historical and contemporary, and I've watched romantic comedies and a couple of shoujo anime. I've had this series of books in my mind for quite a while and now I thought that it was the perfect chance to finally read Anna and the French Kiss. Indeed, it suited wonderfully my current mood.

I love the setting of this novel. Anna and the French Kiss obviously takes place in Paris. This city is by default romantic. As my trip there is the most recent one I made, I liked that I was able to mentally create the image of the streets, bridges and buildings that were described. But, even if I hadn't seen the Pantheon or Notre Damme with my own eyes the descriptions were so great and detailed that it would be easy to imagine them. During one scene, the protagonists visit the bookshop Shakespeare & Co. THAT'S THE BEST BOOKSHOP I've ever been to! Well, the setting was a big Yes for me.

The story was beautiful and swoon-worthy, although at times I felt that it was a little cliche. The friend who is secretly in love with the protagonist or the false rumours going on are things that are common. But I liked the pace the romance was developing. It didn't come easy, although both of them felt the same way. The obstacles they had to face were various and complex and by the end of the story both of them had learnt something. 

Anna was a very likeable character, I felt that I could be friends with her. At times, I felt that her complaints were unrealistic. I understand that she was sent away from home, but she was in Paris in a top private school. Even if her father did it for himself, he still offered her a great opportunity. But I can't deny that in the end she realised what her faults were and I felt that she was wiser than the beginning and I liked her even more for that. The one thing I can't get over is that although she was a movie aficionado and her favourite director was Sofia Coppola, she wasn't aware that Paris is a top city for the cinema lovers. Étienne was just the way a male protagonist should be. He was funny, witty, emotional and faulty. If he wasn't that insecure the romance would surely move much quicker. I loved his devotion he showed to his mother. It felt strange though that he just had to have an English accent. The author explains that he was raised in Britain and it's a perfectly fine reason for it, but I think that I'd love for him to have a French accent.

Anna and the French Kiss was a really cute and sweet read. I cared enough for the characters, in order to feel anxious and worry about them, laugh with them and feel relieved. I would recommend it to those who want to read something romantic and feel nice.

So my advice is...

Fall in love in the City of Lights! 

8 comments:

  1. I've heard quite a lot about this book! I'm definitely going to be checking it out soon :) Great review!

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll love it! When you do, let me know :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't really like this book because I found it to be kind of unoriginal. But I did love the description of the setting, as Paris is one of my favourite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story was indeed unoriginal. But, to be honest, I read it because I wanted something extra romantic. And that it is! Paris is a beautiful city :)

      Delete
  3. Ok. You've 100% convinced me, even if it may be a bit cliche (is it weird that sometimes I like cliche though? :P). Haha cause I've been in a very similar romance novel mood lately and the fact that it's set in Paris - it's like all my favourite things in one!!!

    P.S. When I started out by reading the summary, my first thought was "Who on earth would be mad about being shipped off to Paris! I would happily take that!" and when I read your review you said a very similar thing, I was like YES. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! Sometimes you just need to read a cliche romance, I know that I do :)
      I mean, if I had to go to Paris, I wouldn't actually hate my parents for that haha

      Delete
  4. Aww Aeriko! This is my favorite book and it's nice that you gave it a wonderful review. :)

    Call it cliché, but seriously, who doesn't want to go to Paris right? Every girl wants to travel Europe someday! So I reread this for like 3 times already and it still gives me that "I ship them so hard feels". Oh Etienne. <3

    - Fiona of A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I don't really mind cliché, the romance was great. And Paris was a perfect setting for this story. Etienne was an amazing male character, as he should be ❤️

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)