July 11, 2015

Confession Saturday: Dear Scout



Hello, everyone! Confession Saturday is a new weekly feature, in which we will have the chance to express our feelings towards certain characters. This time of the week we will choose one character and write to him/her about all the things we would like to say. We can explain why we like or dislike each character, which of his/her actions we don't understand and generally whatever comes to mind. 

Thank you so much for all of your positive reactions and feedback the first week of Confession Saturday. This week I'm writing a letter to Scout Jean Louise Finch, from the novel To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I won't lie that I'm excited for the publication of To Set A Watchman which is now only a few days away.

New: I've just added a Linky Tool to Confession Saturday, be sure to leave your links there!


Dear Scout,

You were just a little child when this story happened. I didn't expect you to understand the things the way you did and I'm sincerely surprised about that!

I like the fact that you were a tomboy and expressed yourself freely. Growing up with an older brother can be tough, especially when he begins to exclude you from his games. Jem was no different than that. But the games you did play were fun! Ok, I have to admit that you didn't act a lot like a girl, but I was the same as you were at that age. Of course, you should have kept your temper, even though you were right. You were defending yourself and your father, but hitting the other person isn't always the solution.

It must have been really lonely to grow up without a mother, but Atticus was doing his best. He taught you not to be racist, to be honest and see every human being equal. It was only natural that you couldn't understand at your age the gravity of the situation your father found himself into. I hope that in the future you understood why he did it. In fact, Atticus was a great dad. He set an excellent example and I have high hopes that Jem followed his steps. 

Boo Radley was a unique case. At first, the games you played with the boys were insensitive. Boo was always watching you, even protecting you. You managed to create a weird relationship with him, a man that was out of the society for so long. In the end you acted the right way. Well done, Scout!  

I can't wait to meet your older self. I'd like to see how all of this influenced your way of thinking. It was a rough situation for a 9-year-old and I'd like to find out how all of this sunk in. I hope your relationship with Atticus remained the same.

Yours,
Aeriko





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful letter! I loved how mature Scout was in those situations. Her father raised her right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Atticus is probably the best dad in literature :)

      Delete
  2. Really interesting idea for a meme :) I haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird in a really long time but I was thinking about picking it up just so I remembed it enough to read the sequel they just released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an ideal time for a re-read! Although I'm a little anxious about Go Set A Watchman..Feel free to join us next week :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)