June 7, 2015

Cover Characteristic: Cigarette/Smoking

Weekly bookish meme Cover Characteristics

This meme is hosted by Sugar & Snark.

Each week we will post a characteristic and choose 5 of our favourite covers with that characteristic.

This week's characteristic is with cigarettes or someone smoking. So, here are my picks:


5. Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami


Cover of the novel Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami

I like this cover because it's like a painting. It's a little abstract, but the colours are great. I also like that it's a scene from a bar.

4. Neuromancer by William Gibson


Hungarian cover of the novel Neuromancer by William Gibson

The Hungarian edition of the Neuromancer has this amazing cover, where we see Molly smoking outside of a car. 

3. L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy 


Cover of the noir novel LA Confidential be James Ellroy

In a list where the main characteristic is cigarettes, it was obvious that one of the picks would be from a noir novel. The femme fatale smoking and looking mysteriously is a little standard, but in this cover it works perfectly. 

2. Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle


Cover of Sherlock Holmes by Artur Conan Doyle

There are a lot of editions of Sherlock Holmes. This one by White's Books has this amazing cover. The pipe is one of the things that distinguish the great detective and here is the main characteristic of this cover. 

1. Slaughter on Fifth Avenue (The Sandman #32), by Neil Gaiman and Shawn McManus


Cover of Sandman #32 Slaughter on Fifth Avenue by Neil Gaiman and Shawn McManus

My #1 pick is the 32nd issue of The Sandman, Slaughter on Fifth Avenue. Written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Shawn McManus, this issue, like the rest of The Sandman, is compelling. 


Have you read any of these? What do you think of this list? Which are your favourite covers with cigarettes/smoking? 

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Great picks. I almost picked L. A. Confidential too. And that Sherlcok Holmes cover is gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!I like this noir styled cover that L.A. Confidential has :)

      Delete
  2. I have returned! I just wanted to say hi and this post seemed pretty fun!

    I definitely prefer the Hungarian cover of Neuromancer to the one I have which is indescribably horrific, to me anyway. It looks like the cover of an early 2000's video on hackers. Ugh.

    Holy crap that Sherlock Holmes cover is beautiful. Classics often have pretty dull covers but that one is something special indeed.

    I still need to read Sandman. Fuck.

    Anyway, hello once more, it's good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Welcome back :)

      I agree, this Neuromancer cover is amazing and much better than that of the English edition.

      I also haven't read all of The sandman's issues, but I'm on the way. Yay!

      Delete
  3. This is an interesting Cover Characteristic! If you asked me to pick out a cover with smoking I'm not sure I could, I don't think I've seen one before this. The one on the Sherlock Holmes cover is really great and a creative pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To be honest, at first I had difficulty remembering any, but after I got a couple of ideas I ended up with about 10 covers, so I had to choose from them :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh I like that Sherlock Holmes cover!
    Thanks for joining in last week :)

    Sugar & Snark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably one of the most beautiful Sherlock Holmes covers I've come across :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)